Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Cucumber & Onion Salad

I remember as a child growing up, living right next door to Grandma.
An every summer she would make this yummy cucumber and onion salad.
It was so yummy! I know she used white vinegar but I am not sure if
she added anything else to it, and if so what.


I will have to go scouring around her old cookbooks that my mom kept
and see if I can find any recipe she might have wrote down
and tucked inside a cookbook. (she was famous for that)


So I took an recipe from the web,
and experimented a little on my own this time.


I chopped my onion and cucumbers this time.
Grandma always sliced hers,
and I found that harder to eat with a spoon or fork.
I used a cleaned out ice cream bucket and lid to marinate them in.

Then add Sugar and stir in well.
The amount of vinegar and sugar really
depends on how much veggies you are going to use.
I add enough vinegar to almost cover all the veggies,
and add sugar to taste.

Online Recipe: 2 cups sugar to 1 cup white vinegar (This is if you like it sweet)
I Recommend using 1 Cup Sugar to 1 Cup Vinegar, or less sugar if you like more sour tang to it.

After it is all mixed up, and ready to go into the fridge for over night.



Make sure to put it in an airtight container, otherwise your fridge is going to smell like vinegar. That is why I also used the washed out ice cream bucket. I am not worried about the vinegar smell on this container, like I would on my good tupperware containers.
Put it in the fridge overnight, and serve with a slotted spoon.
Yum!

No comments: